Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Montecchia announced his retirement


Argentinean guard Alejandro Montecchia announced his retirement from basketball after playing two decades in Argentina, Italy and Spain. Montecchia was the guard of the Argentinean national team when they captured Gold in the 2004 Olympics and Silver in the 2002 FIBA World Championship.

Montecchia, who is 37 years old, announced his retirement of Ole newspaper in Argentina and said that he wanted to be more with his family and stay in Bahía Blanca. "It was about priorities. I could still play physically but the main topic is the family, that my children have stability and the health of my father. I want to live in Bahia with my family." The Argentinean guard finished with Regatas Corrientes where he averaged 6 points and 3 assists in 49 games played.

During his career he also played for Sport Club, Olimpia and Boca Juniors. At an international level he played in Italy for Reggio Calabria (1999-2002), Armani Jeans Milano (2005-2006) and in Spain with Pamesa Valencia (2002-2005). "The only thing that I didn't do was play in the NBA. It was never a goal but I was close. I was surprised after that call by coach Gregg Popovich in 2004. I couldn't believe it. Valencia asked me not to go and I stayed."

source : fibaamericas.com

Bookmark and Share

0 comments: